Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Vinyl Machine Settings

Jodie said...
Help! I've ruined probably a whole roll of vinyl trying to make the Subway Art for my Kitchenaid mixer. I practice on a sheet of paper first but I just can't seem to get it right. It either cuts all the way through to the mat, shreds the vinyl and I can't weed it because the vinyl doesn't seem to stick well to its backing. It's vinyl from Hobby Lobby. Kind of new to the whole "vinyl cutting" thing. I love it though.

Many of us have had this issue or something similar, especially when you're just starting out! Today's Tuesday Technique will include Settings information that apply to virtually all craft cutting machines you may use to cut Vinyl (Cricut, Silhouette, Eclips, etc).

1) Ensure your cutting mat is tacky enough. If your mat is not hanging on to back side of your vinyl, it will catch and scratch and cause all kinds of trouble!

2) Set your machine's PRESSURE setting on a low to medium setting. Try the lowest setting first, then see how it goes from there. If the blade doesn't cut through at least the vinyl, keep trying! Gradually increase your pressure setting until you find the right setting that will cut through the vinyl, but not through the backing.

3) Speed does play a factor. If you have thick vinyl, you may want to slow the cutting speed to give the blade ample time for a clean cut.

4) Does your blade need replacing? A dull blade will definitely keep you from achieving optimal results.

5) Remember not all Vinyl are equal! Some are thicker and harder to cut through, and others will fall apart no matter what settings you use due to the quality. We suggest buying a few different brands to see what works best on your machine and for the projects you are looking to make. Oh My Crafts carries Oracal Vinyl (the same brand sold by ProvoCraft/Cricut), which is a high quality, beautiful colored Vinyl that is perfect for around-the-house decorating!

Try it with Vinyl!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the tips. I think I might try using a new mat even though the mat I'm using isn't that old. It came with my Expression and it's actually starting to curl at the edges. I'm really anxious to have some of my vinyl projects come out.

    ReplyDelete